Sunday, November 2, 2008

Go Vote --

Who should I vote for?

Let me begin by saying that I don't think it is right for me to endorse a particular political candidate or ever campaign for a candidate. My role is to pastor all people regardless of their political persuasion. This is my primary reason for not endorsing a candidate, not to mention protecting the non-profit status of Celebrate Church.

There is a big difference between separation of church and state versus faith and politics. When you vote (and I do encourage you to vote), I challenge you to make your decisions based on your values, based on your worldview as a Christ-follower. I think it is our responsibility to make our political decisions based on our faith. How you view the world and how you value your faith will influence how you will live the next four years... and beyond.

There are some propositions that impose on our faith values that are specifically contradictions to God’s design for man. I cannot endorse a candidate but I will endorse a proposition on the ballot here in Florida that aligns itself with God’s Word. Proposition 2 advocates God’s design for marriage to be defined as the union One Man & One Woman. For that I ask that you vote in support of Proposition 2.

When it comes to the candidates for political office I encourage you to vote according to your faith and worldview, not based on personality, popularity or political party. If Jesus were walking the earth today in the flesh, I am pretty sure He would be neither Republican nor Democrat. He would be PRO-GOD! :)

Below are some thoughts for those of us who are Christ followers and areas we have an opportunity to influence, regardless of who is elected to office.

CHRIST FOLLOWERS are the ones who should love people, whoever they are–gay or straight, Jew or Muslim, religious or atheist, capitalist or not, conservative or liberal!

CHRIST FOLLOWERS are the ones who have capability to do more than anyone in the world to stop the HIV and disease around the world
!

CHRIST FOLLOWERS are the people who should gravitate more toward the poor and who should show more compassion through generous action and seek justice so that the causes of poverty are overcome. They call the rich to generosity, and they call on rich nations to work for the common good.

CHRIST FOLLOWERS care for the environment. They don’t see it as raw materials for economic gain, but they see it as the precious handiwork of their Creator.


If you were hoping in this blog that I would tell you my "stance" on this election, I am sorry to disappoint you. The truth is that it doesn't really matter what MY stance is, or what I think, or what I believe. The question should always be, "What is God's stance and what does the Bible say?" That is our measuring rod and should be the basis for every vote we cast!

I want to make a resource available to you. This summer at Celebrate, we shared a message titled, "God & Politics" that would benefit every person to listen to as we approach election day. Click here to to listen to the audio message online now (or right click to download).

Happy voting!

No comments: